The 2023-2024 NFL Season is Already Plagued by Injuries

Only seven weeks into the season, the NFL faces a wave of injuries among its players. Numerous football superstars have suffered severe injuries that have ended seasons, possibly even careers. Although football is one of the highest-risk sports for athletes, the number of injuries is unusually high.

Aaron Rodgers, the former Green Bay Packers quarterback and current New York Jets quarterback, suffered a complete tear of his Achilles tendon only 75 seconds into the first game of the year. He will almost surely miss the rest of the season, and the future of the veteran player’s career remains dubious.

Other quarterbacks, such as Joe Burrow of the Cincinnati Bengals, Justin Herbert of the Los Angeles Chargers, and Anthony Richardson of the Indianapolis Colts, have suffered injuries impacting their ability to lead their teams. Richardson has even been ruled out from being able to compete for the rest of the year

However, quarterbacks are not the only players with injuries. Justin Jefferson, the number one wide receiver in the NFL, injured his hamstring last week, preventing him from playing for at least four weeks. 

Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams wide receiver, and Austin Ekeler, Los Angeles Chargers running back two of the highest-rated players in the NFL   have already missed most of this season’s games due to injuries. 

Buffalo Bills Running Back Damien Harris had to be taken off the field by ambulance in his game against the Giants after hurting his neck. Last year, Buffalo infamously had to have their safety Damar Hamlin rushed to the hospital via ambulance after suffering cardiac arrest on the field in an incident eerily similar to the one that occurred last Sunday. Luckily, Damien Harris has already been discharged from the hospital and is expected to recover fully. 

Nick Chubb, a running back for the Cleveland Browns, suffered what is likely the most notorious injury of the year so far. 

While being tackled, he had a very serious and nearly career ending knee in a week two game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

Although it is only seven weeks into the 2023-2024 NFL season, it becomes harder to ignore the problem that the league has with keeping its athletes in proper condition. Players and analysts have attributed these injuries to factors such as poor management and bad turf. With a rather ominous start to the season, fans can only hope that their favorite football stars can stay healthy for the rest of the season.