The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

2023-2024 Fall Sports Season Hails Another Year of Achievement for Hen Hud

Photo Credits: Emma Morley
Photo Credits: Emma Morley

The 2023-2024 fall sports season was filled with exciting games and matches across all sports at Hen Hud. Athletes and their teams earned marked achievements for Hen Hud, notably participation in league championships for several of Hen Hud’s teams and Con Edison Athlete of the Week, Marta Przybyłowska. Girls tennis and cross-country were highlights of the season, further cementing Hen Hud as a force to be reckoned with in sports.

Tennis

Finishing with a record of 11-1 for the season, the girls varsity tennis team sent seven girls to the individual sectional tournament. This included captains Kayla Tresgallo, Talie Smith, Hailey Pearson, and Emma Morley along with team members Trishia Vosotros, Emma Barbelet and Paige Montgomery advanced as well. 

Photo Credits: Emma Morley

The final match of the season against White Plains on October 16th was the deciding game for the title of Co-league Champions. In sweeping success, the team’s 3rd and 4th doubles groups captured wins in two tough matches. Although the match was placed on hold at a 2-2 tie due to a lack of necessary lighting on the court, playing resumed on October 17th to finish the match. Despite the delay, 1st and 2nd doubles captured wins, bringing the team to victory at 4-3. This was the first match White Plains had lost in two years.

The Hen Hud’s girls tennis team was crowned the Co-league Champions, a title it shared with White Plains for the 2023-2024 season.

Cross Country

Photo Credits: Emma Morley

Hen Hud’s cross country team had another successful season. Led by seniors Hannah Quigley and George Wright, the team earned victories and accolades in several areas. Sophomore Josh Weinstein played a major role in the team’s success this season. At the Manhattan College Invitational Meet, Weinstein won the Sophomore C Race, a first for a  Hen Hud runner. Coach Marcia Bailey said, “Josh has now run the 2nd fastest time by a male Hen Hud runner at the prestigious Van Cortlandt Park course.” Also placing in 4th at the race was Victor Delgado. Hannah Quigley and Rhylee Adviento both medaled in the girls Varsity E race. Along with these outstanding demonstrations of their speed, the boys team won the league meet and were crowned league champions. All League runners were Josh Weinstein, Victor Delgado, Ben Ramirez, Jackson Morley, Ava Schembari, Rhylee Adviento, Hannah Quigley, and Raine Parker.

Volleyball

Photo Credits: @henhudvball on Instagram

Hen Hud volleyball came out in full force, once again, this season. With high expectations following a state title last season, the sailors fought validly to maintain their winning streak. Captained by Con-Ed Athlete of the week, Marta Przybyłowska, Ryan Calhoun and Ava Coulson, the team maintained a record of 18-0 and 7-0 in the league. When asked about highlights of their season so far, senior captain Marta Przybylowska said, “Our big Somers game that we won 3-2. We reverse swept Somers to stay undefeated.” It is without a doubt that the sailors are looking to make another state title run to cement their title. They were seeded #1 in the sectional tournament, but suffered a loss to John-Jay Cross River in the semi-finals. 

Field Hockey

Photo Credits: @hhhsfieldhockey on Instagram

Captained by the LoHud Elite 11 star, Rowan Dapson, and junior Ashley Azzaro, the varsity field hockey team boasted  a 9-1-5 record for the season. When asked about some special moments from their season, senior captain Rowan Dapson said “Our 2-1 win over Nanuet and coming back from a 1-0 score against Nyack and tying it at 1-1 in the end” was one of her favorites. Seeded 8, Hen Hud hosted #9 Sleepy Hollow on Saturday, October 21st in the first round of sectionals and won 2-0. However, they lost to #1 Lakeland in the quarterfinals. 

Girls Soccer

Photo Credits: Emma Morley

The varsity girls soccer team was faced with a difficult schedule this season. One of the team Captains, Senior Alexa Robinson, said “We had a very tough schedule this year and played some hard fought games with unfortunate results.” Senior Jessica Redmond is also a captain of the team. The sailors ended their season with a 7-9 record and are seeded 10th in the sectional tournament. They played #7 John Jay Cross River at JJCR on Saturday, October 21st and lost 3-0. 

Cheerleading

Photo Credits: @sailors_cheerleading on Instagram

For their first time competing with the “gameday” style in years, the cheerleaders of Hen Hud demonstrated a strong performance this fall, led by senior captains Liana Baldo, Christina Pennella, Davan Callaghan and Rachel Keefe. In August, the cheerleaders traveled to NCA Camp in Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania where they placed 1st overall. While the team only competed in a few competitions during the fall, it placed 1st overall at the Walter Panas Competition in October. The team also brought necessary spirit and support to Hen Hud’s football games. Senior captain Davan Callaghan said that one of the highlights of the season is “definitely traveling to games and spending time with the teammates.”

Football

Photo Credits: Shane Jersey

Under new leadership this season, Hen Hud’s football team demonstrated its skill this season. Led by captains David Perez, Nico Basalyga, Mason Dietz and Joey Abboud, the team scored a comfortable 49-14 win over Irvington in October. They have competed in close games including a tough 22-24 loss from Nanuet on October 13th. Due to their efforts on the field, RB/LB Izzy Andrade was nominated for the LoHud player of the week. WR/DB Ronny Bencosme was also nominated for the USA Football Heart of a Giant award. The sailors closed out their season with a 2-6 record after a 49-21 win over Hastings. 

Girls Swimming

Photo Credits: @crohud_swim on Instagram

Led by Josie Gield and Briana Jackson the CroHud (Croton, Hen Hud and Haldane) Swim team sat at a 4-4 record this season. Notably, the team qualified for sectionals this season, earning 17th place overall; this was the team’s best performance since 2019. Josie Gield, Lindsay Tellez, and Eloise Pearsall placed 9th in the 200 Free Relay. Vivien Chen and Mikayla Thomas joined the girls to perform in the 200 Medley Relay, earning 15th place. Vivien Chen will be taking the team to the State Championships; she placed 6th in the 100 Free and 5th in the 50 Free. 

Boys Soccer

Photo Credits: Rowan Dapson

The Varsity Boys soccer team performed validly this season, holding a 5-11. Captained by Zac Zalamea and Owen Martinez, the team beat neighboring rival Peekskill 2-1, a highlight of their season. Seeded #14 in the sectional tournament, the Sailors lost to #3 Pearl River 2-0 in the first round.