The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Those Keeping Hen Hud in Safe Hands

You’ve seen them patrolling the halls, checking bathrooms and keeping watch in the cafeteria. Hen Hud’s security guards work hard throughout the day to keep the school safe and orderly, but who are these security guards? What are their days like? And how did they end up at Hen Hud in the first place? 

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

Chris Connolly

Before becoming a security guard, Chris was a NYPD police officer for twenty years, and was promoted to sergeant in July 2001. After retiring eight years ago and taking one year off, he decided to take this job because he is a “local in the community and [has] kids in the district.” An active volunteer who coaches youth sports in the area, Chris stated that his daily tasks include managing arrivals and dismissal, plus “checking the outer perimeter and doors of the school from time to time, just to make sure.” 

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

Pete Ruf

Pete arrived at Hen Hud “after working 21 years in television” as a broadcast journalist. Throughout his career, Pete participated in high school sports, and even after retiring from journalism, Pete stated that he “wanted to continue working with high school athletes.” Taking this position was the best way for him to do so, so he started in September as a security guard. 

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

Ralik Martin

For Ralik, becoming a security guard meant going through a “transition in careers.” Previously, Ralik worked in corrections, but after some time he decided it was time to switch it up. When this position came up, he decided to apply and luckily “it just worked out.” Ralik helps coach Hen Hud Football, and during the day checks bathrooms and hallways to keep the school orderly. You can find him chatting with students in the cafeteria or keeping a post near one of the bathrooms.

John Liberatore

John arrived at Hen Hud a year and a half ago after hearing that the school was looking for guards. You can usually find John in the cafeteria, keeping watch over the lunchroom and talking with students. He says his favorite thing about being a security guard is “just mingling with the kids, getting to know the students and staff, and the school environment.” 

Cory Blan

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

Cory is a man who has done a lot. “Before I came to Hen Hud, I worked at Premier Athletic Club for 8 years as a personal trainer. Before that, I was  an exterminator, repo man, and I was in the military.” Nowadays, Cory works at Hen Hud, patrolling halls, the cafeteria and bathrooms. “I’m on my feet most of the day, which I enjoy, you know, not sitting in a cubicle or whatever.” Cory says interacting with the kids at Hen Hud is his favorite thing about working security.

Elizabeth Faiella

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

One of the most recognizable faces at Hen Hud, Mrs. Faiella has been working the front desk of the school for 14 years now. Early in the morning, Mrs. Faiella puts all the badges and sign-in sheets in order for students and visitors to use, and “by 7 o’clock the first bus comes and I get to see all the students get off the bus, and I welcome them in.” Throughout the day, Mrs. Faiella checks in with students who need to leave the building, and lets in any parents who are dropping off “everything from lunchboxes to shoes to you name it.” When asked what her favorite thing about working security is, she answered “the students, definitely the students. I get to see so many different students a day, and I get to talk to them and build relationships with them. More than anything I want Hen Hud to feel like home for these kids.”

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

Joseph Tollis

Joseph joined the Hen Hud Security team in September of 2022, and he works the afternoon shift at the front desk. Before becoming a security guard, Joseph was with the NYPD for more than 20 years. When working the front desk, Joseph deals with after school activities, sports, clubs and meetings that all need access through the main entrance to run smoothly. You can catch Joe at the front desk anytime between 2 and 9 p.m.

Photo Credits: Brady Bayer

Don Gray

Don is a “retired Westchester County bomb squad police officer” whose done training with officers and canines on the subject of explosives. He’s taught dogs how to sniff explosives, and was at the Montrose VA Police Department teaching officers defense tactics. Don is also a local man; his kids and grandson went to Hen Hud. “It’s a pleasure working with the kids. That’s really the best part of the job.”