The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Hendrick Hudson Career Fair

“Who do you want to be when you grow up?” is much harder to answer once you actually have to decide. As the end of high school approaches for many students, choosing a career path feels like a daunting leap of faith. Hearing from community members, who took such leaps, offers a glimpse into the many possible paths students can explore.

Photo Credits: HHHS PTSA

At the Hendrick Hudson Career Fair, professional toy designers, accountants, chemists, professors, police officers, engineers, and more spoke with students about their experiences, journeys, and destinations.

It can be overwhelming for high school students who believe their whole life must be planned, as opportunities will come and go throughout the college and career experience. That’s not to say students shouldn’t have a direction, yet being curious and exploring too can have its benefits. 

Mrs. Prokopiak, for example, started her professional career in the financial software sector. However, she expressed that “after 10 years, [she] was presented with opportunities to progress in systems project management and corporate training” that eventually led her to pursue a second career as an elementary teacher. Her change in direction was not only personally rewarding, but proves that a shift in careers can occur successfully, so students shouldn’t feel as though their answer about a future career is definite in high school. 

Even those careers that ask for a hefty commitment have different paths and eventual exits. Air Force and Marine representatives at the fair outlined the many ways to serve the country: accountants, medics, engineers, teachers, all have a place in the military. After one’s service commitment is complete, one can continue on a military trajectory or enter the corporate sector. Therefore, to the high school student who is worried that a career decision is irrevocable, know there are infinite segues.

Photo Credits: HHHS PTSA

Just as military personnel serve the country, police officers and EMTs serve our community by keeping everyone safe and healthy. To that end, there are also many opportunities to serve the community as a high school student. EMTs at the career fair explained that students as young as fourteen have opportunities to work with EMTs, and eventually get hands-on experience within ambulances. 

Lisa Anderson, Coordinator of the Youth Employment Services program (Y.E.S), within the Town of Cortlandt’s Department of Recreation and Conservation, encourages students to explore both job openings and volunteer/community work to help them find their interests and develop their skills. Similarly, a representative from the Hudson Hospitality Crew presented students with information to obtain the Culinary & Hospitality Certificate by getting working hours and internships that would lead to “immediate employment in the local Peekskill restaurant industry.” 

Through such programs, high school students don’t need to wait to be involved in the community or in an industry. By connecting with the community and gaining experience, a leap into the “real world” will seem less mysterious, and a path might soon reveal itself.