The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

What’s New with HenHud’s Clubs This Year?

Photo Credit: Kacie Burns

In the spirit of innovation and engagement, our school’s clubs are buzzing with fresh ideas and activities in the current academic year. Students have much to look forward to as clubs introduce exciting updates and initiatives. 

STEAM Club

STEAM club members this year are diving into fascinating experiments, learning about science, and overall encouraging students to find a passion for science-math related studies.

“Introducing individuals to the arts of science is the main goal of the STEAM club. We want to introduce students and children to the origins of science” says Vice President Rhylee Adviento. “We want students of all ages to know that science can be fun.” 

This year’s STEAM club is focused on having a successful and inclusive year. They want to strive to develop many science related skills and experiments that will hopefully spark interest in students. STEAM clubs goals for this year includes setting up bake sales to help raise money for the club and conducting experiments such as the water bottle launchers, where students can launch plastic bottles up into the sky. 

SEED Club

This year’s SEED club is broadening its horizons by connecting with international charities and organizations. Last year, the club was run predominately by seniors, so the new school year came with a younger leadership roster, now including mostly juniors. . This year, the club members have chosen to support the Middle East Children’s Alliance, an organization providing relief to children affected by war in the region.

“The main goal is to help people in need. SEED club’s charity this year wants to help the victims that are being targeted by war” says SEED club co-president Aaron Mclaughlin.

As of right now, SEED club is focusing on setting up events such as their quarterly Trivia Bowl and movie nights as a way to raise money for the charity. 

Chess Club

Compared to last year, there have been some significant changes with the Chess Club. The most noticeable change would be of the club’s advisor, Mrs. Gallagher. This year, the Chess Club has taken a more formal approach with leadership than last year and has appointed new student officers. Filled with goals this year, the members are planning to raise money for the club by handling school bake sales. Chess Club also hopes to  collaborate with other chess clubs from other schools to hold chess events. 

“Our main goal is to show people how to play chess and just be a place where people can spend time and talk with other people who are also passionate about chess,” says the club’s Vice President Alec Elkin. 

Reading Club

The Reading Club’s goal this year is to become a more collaborative and interactive environment for all students of Hen Hud who enjoy reading and writing. The club has become more interactive, as students are given activities such as monthly book circleand short stories to read. With Mrs. Maye as the club supervisor of both Lit Mag and Reading Club, the two are able to collaborate with each other and conduct activities outside of school, such as being able to read to the students at FGL.

The members of Reading Club are striving to encourage students to get involved with reading and help it become a personal fun hobby. 

Green Team

The Green Team has set their goals this year on promoting more environment friendly activities to students. During the club’s next meeting, the members and the advisor are looking forward to discussing a future activity in honor of recycling day. The juniors and senior officers will convene to discuss and determine the most effective ways to initiate this eco-conscious event.

In addition to Green Team’s immediate plans, the club is looking forward to significant events in the future. Preliminary arrangements are being made for a major environmental celebration to take place in April, just prior to the spring break. This event is anticipated to be a remarkable occasion, and preparations are already in motion. The club is also planning to start up a fundraiser to help fix up the garden on campus.

“Green Team is always looking for new members,” said the club’s advisor Mrs. Geiger.

Underclassmen Appeal

The positive changes in our clubs since last year have set a promising tone for our  community. These changes have made clubs more engaging, adaptable, and inclusive, which is likely to pique the interest of upperclassmen. The allure of these dynamic clubs will encourage upperclassmen to consider taking on leadership roles and actively participating, fostering a sense of continuity and enthusiasm within our vibrant club community.