The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Napoleon (2023) Conquers The Big Screen

Napoleon. (2023). Columbia Pictures and Apple Original Films. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Napoleon_Film_poster.jpg

The Napoleon movie got history fanatics excited to grab a ticket and see if it’s worth the watch. But since it hit the screens, opinions are all over the place, especially about how accurately it portrays Napoleon and the real events that took place in French history. Some say it’s spot-on, while others think it plays fast and loose with history. But with the movie’s debated flaws, one question arises: is it worth the watch? 

Napoleon follows the title character’s life before and after the French Revolution. Besides the Revolution, it covers the relationship he had with his wife, his life as a general, and his life as an emperor, covering his tyranny of France as the country fell into a power vacuum left behind by the fallen monarchy. The film explores Napoleon’s strategic brilliance, personal struggles, and complex relationships against the chaotic backdrop of 19th-century Europe. 

Joaquin Phoenix’s outstanding performance adds depth and authenticity to the character, capturing the enigma of the historical figure. In the movie, Napoleon is portrayed as an angry, irritable man, prone to erratic outbursts. The only time we get to see his character change is when he is with his wife Josephine and is shown to be a kinder man. The film’s attention to detail in costume and set design helps create a visually stunning and emotionally resonant experience for the audience. 

Overall, Napoleon is a compelling blend of historical accuracy and cinematic artistry that informs and enthralls.

Despite getting massive popular reviews from critics from the U.S and the U.K., the movie gathered negative reviews from French critics themselves. In an article from Le Monde, it stated that the director’s vision was just aiming for simplicity  — “a montage alternating between Napoleon’s love life and his feats of battle.” The French weren’t so keen about this movie since it was directed by an Englishman, and argued the portrayal of Napoleon was too vulgar and rude. 

Yet, Napoleon has garnered positive reviews from both teachers and students at Hen Hud. Mr. Zink, a history teacher, commented on the film, stating, “Not the most historically accurate movie, but knowing a little about Napoleon already, I still enjoyed the film.” Junior student Trishia Vosotros shared her thoughts, saying, “I think the movie was really good, especially the scenes with his wife.” This positive reception suggests that while some deviations from historical accuracy may exist, the film resonated well with both educators and students at Hen Hud.

In spite of French critics, Napoleon stands out with its remarkable cinematography, featuring great action shots and emotional scenes that elevate the storytelling. The easy-going storyline adds to its appeal, making the film accessible and enjoyable for its audience, even if they don’t know too much about the history of the French commander. Although the portrayal of Napoleon might not be historically accurate, it still carries out the storyline fairly well, depicting Napoleon as a vicious conqueror throughout the entire movie. The film also explores the relationship he had with his wife and how it changed throughout the revolution. In the end, we witness how he himself changed as he ascended through different positions of power, leading to his eventual downfall. For these reasons, Napoleon is definitely worth watching.