Kayla Cohen: New Face of the Student Body

As a new year begins at Hendrick Hudson, a new figure steps up to the mantle of student government president. Working with administration, the president acts as the voice of the student body, pushing requested changes and trying to make the school a better place for its students. This year that role falls to Kayla Cohen, our 2022-2023 president. 

Kayla on the field, photo contributor Kayla Cohen

Kayla takes her responsibilities as the student government president seriously, closely communicating with the school administration. She also keeps in close touch with the students, always considering their opinions. She is approachable, and takes input very seriously.

In an interview with Kayla she said that it is her leadership style to “talk to others to learn the various perspectives on issues before making a decision.”

Kayla is a prolific community member, involved in many programs both inside and outside of school. She is a part of Green team, SEED, Class of ‘23, FBLA, Girl Up, HOSA,National Honor Society, Hispanic Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Lit Mag, and Sailors Supporting Sailors. In her own words, she is “kinda busy.”

Not only a strong community member, she is also a leader on the varsity cheer and soccer teams. Outside of school, she plays the ukulele and is currently working with the Hunter Thinking Dog Center to research canine cognition.

Kayla with Bennie at Hunter Thinking Dog Center, photo contributor Kayla Cohen

This year Kayla plans to increase student participation and school spirit, which has been challenged as the result of Covid-related factors. She said in her interview that she wants to “work toward achievable goals in order to make meaningful progress for the school.” Kayla is open to any questions and problems, aiming to make this school year “the best it can be.”

While the position of president can be challenging, Kayla is a reliable president that you can count on. If you have any changes that you would like to see made or any problems that need to be fixed, don’t hesitate to contact her. Make it a great year or not, Hen Hud, the choice is yours.