The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Why You Should Play: A Short Hike

Photo Credits: Adam Robinson-Yu

A true mark of maturity is when you are able to make your own decisions and discoveries. But some of us have limitations or struggle to see that growth in ourselves and that makes it really hard to see pride in our accomplishments. This is where “a short hike” comes in. In 2019, sole developer adamgryu, real name Adam Robinson-Yu, released this open-world, cozy game. For those who don’t know, an open-world game is a game where the player has free reign of the world and everything in it, being able to do anything at any time within the game’s limits. A “cozy” game is also put as a no-stress game, or a game that is designed to let you relax front and center. Similar titles in the “cozy” genre are games like Animal Crossing and Here Comes Niko

The plot of the game is simple, main character Claire, a sentient and anthropomorphic bird, is sent to an island to visit her aunt. But when Claire tries to tell her mom of her accomplishment, she realizes she has no signal. Her aunt tells her that if she climbs to the highest peak of the mountain nearby (trust me, I don’t have a “thing” for mountain climbing games I swear) she will get a better signal. This kickstarts Claire’s journey to the top, filled with much to discover and learn about.

As you collect golden feathers, the game’s main collectible, the climb becomes more and more accessible. Along the way you will gather items to solve environmental puzzles and meet characters who will help you on your journey. Near the end of the game, when Claire finally gets signal, her mom is finally able to call her in an emotional scene showing how much Claire, and by proxy, the player, have truly grown.

Most if not all “cozy” games that I’ve played pride themselves on their unique artstyle. For example, a pseudo-cozy game, Celeste has a unique pixel-esque aesthetic reminiscent of SNES (Super Nintendo entertainment system) era games. A short hike’s art style is more like a combination of old 90’s games for the N64 and the GBA (Game Boy Advance) whilst also having something almost paper-like with the environmental effects.

Musically, A Short Hike is not attempting to produce the next epic “banger” or something that you will be nostalgic for for years to come. Instead, the game’s soundtrack is supposed to set you into a mellow state, fitting the game’s overall atmosphere.

Overall, I believe that this game is great for winding down after a long day. The welcoming vibes, the simplistic gameplay that calls back to games past, it all just feels… good! If you have the time, pick up the game and try it for yourself. Remember the name A Short Hike.