The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Larger Than Life: Why Yosemite National Park Should be on Everyone’s Bucket List for 2024

Photo Credits: Michael Philbin
Photo Credits: Michael Philbin
Photo Credits: Kenneth Philbin

When I entered Yosemite for the first time, it was a jaw-dropping experience. We had just been driving up a winding road for what felt like an hour, and as soon as we cleared the top, I saw the largest cliff face I’d ever seen. Little did I know that it would be one of the smallest ones I’d see in the half-week I visited. If you love scenic views, and gorgeous landscapes, and are a somewhat skilled hiker, then this National Park will be a Heaven on Earth. 

Photo Credits: Michael Philbin

First and foremost, the hiking. If you hate hiking, why? Also, you’ll want to skip this because of how much of it there is. Besides a few locations, the views are only accessed by moderately difficult terrain. If you’re up for the challenge, a few places are must-goes. Sentinel Dome has my favorite views of the whole valley, with the summit having a 360-degree view of the High Sierra, the valley, and more. The large metal compass on top also shows you which major mountains are in view. If you want to go all the way, there’s a connection trail to Taft Point, which gives you gorgeous views of El Capitan. Nearby is the iconic Glacier Point, with Yosemite’s best view of the colossal Half Dome, which doesn’t require a hike to get there so for families with little ones or just don’t want to hike as much, this is a great alternative. Even if you adore hiking, I’d hit this spot. Finally, the Yosemite Falls Trail is rather difficult, but not strenuous if you end at the view of Middle Falls. 

For activities beyond climbing mountains, there is the previously mentioned Glacier Point. One of my personal favorites was the small footpath between the field near the Ahwahnee and some houses. It’s not an iconic viewpoint at all, but it can catch the setting sun reflecting off the face of Half Dome in one of the most beautiful pictures I took there.  There is the bike trail that leads you around many stunning vistas on the valley floor, including Swinging Bridge, and Sentinel Bridge, and even allows you to bike to Mirror Lake and the surrounding swimming areas. If you want to walk, the drive to Mariposa Woods isn’t far and the trees are stunning, with some larger than buildings like Grizzly Giant. Also, the proximity to San Francisco makes it possible to do a 2-in-1 trip like my family did this summer! 

Photo Credits: Michael Philbin

Overall, Yosemite National Park has been an unforgettable experience for everyone in my family. I have seen some of the most gorgeous views there that pictures cannot capture. The scale of everything warps your worldview with mountains like Half Dome, El Capitan, and others so you feel like titans when you reach the peaks of the valley walls. With full honesty, I can say that this will be a place I will never forget and one that I plan to visit many more times. It’s truly a trip that I will keep forever, and that’s why I encourage everyone I meet to visit the beautiful Yosemite National Park.