The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Five Diamond-in-the-Rough Albums from 2023

5. Carly Rae Jepsen – The Loveliest Time

Rae Jepsen, C. (2023). The Loveliest Time. School Boy/Interscope Records.

Seven studio albums deep into her career, Carly Rae Jepsen proves that her ability to make incredible pop songs is as strong as ever. As a sister album to her previous album, The Loneliest Time, it takes its strengths and improves upon them. This record radiates positive energy and makes any day better. The dance pop approach that she takes on this album is complemented perfectly by her amazing vocals. Each chorus is delivered with a melody that is bound to get stuck in your head. I first listened to this album during a hard day of work at Furnace Woods during the summer and it made the day go by much quicker. It was nearly impossible to avoid bobbing my head to every track’s booming beat and impressive danceability.

4. Ana Fringo Elétrico – Me Chama De Gato Que Eu Sou Sua

Ana Fringo Elétrico. (2023). Me Chama De Gato Que Eu Sou Sua. Mr Bongo.

Ana Fringo Eléctrico’s follow up to their 2019 album, Little Electric Chicken Heart, is a delightful piece of modern funk. Filled with joy and groove, this record can lift you up on any day. The driving basswork and tight drumming keep this album moving and Electrico’s vocals fit perfectly with this framework. The backing guitars are light and make the atmosphere of this album even brighter. Coupled with the insistent trumpets, these catchy melodies will stay stuck in your head for days. The opener, “Electric Fish,” immediately sucks you into the album, displaying all of its best features. The hypnotizing bassline and perfect vocal harmonies make you want to keep listening. This album is perfect for the summertime and any time where you’re feeling groovy, energetic or just want to get up and dance.

3. Jane Remover – Census Designated

Remover, J. (2023). Census Designated. deadAir.

As a fan of Jane Remover I was excited for her follow up to her 2021 album, Frailty. In October of this year she released her sophomore album, Census Designated. This album displays her ability to make cold and beautiful soundscapes in a unique way. With icy vocals, occasional drones, and gratifying progressions, Census Designated always keeps the listener on their toes and wanting more, giving the album an experimental sound unique to Jane. Tracks like “Lips” display her improved singing and capability to make satisfying pay offs. The drums are crisp and hard hitting in all the right places and well-mixed with Jane’s background in electronic music, making for an intriguing and eclectic album. 

2. Oldstar – On The Run

Oldstar. (2023). On the Run. Self-Published.

Oldstar is a band I only discovered this year—it has quickly become one of my favorites. In July, the band released On The Run, their third album. This album’s strongest qualities are its melancholic, fuzzy guitars and passionate vocals. The placement of the vocals in some songs creates a background feature which allows the music to speak for itself. Modern slowcore has become an oversaturated genre; however, Oldstar are one of the few acts that remain special in the scene. Most songs on this album feel like emotional gut punches in their presentation and songwriting. Buried in the mix is the agonizing screams of the singer which leave an imprint on the listener. Each guitar solo is given the same weight as the verses in every track. On the song “Catch,” they stray away from this rule and it makes for arguably the best song on the album. 

1. Parannoul – After The Night (Live)

Parannoul. (2023). After The Night (Live). Parannoul, under license to POCLANOS.

Throughout most of 2023, I knew that this record would easily be my favorite album of the year. After The Night is a live album by Parannoul, featuring several other talented musicians.  Parannoul’s performance brings all of his shoegaze compositions to life and shows off his improved singing.  Each track is tweaked and innovated upon to make them the best possible version they can be. This is best shown in the 46 minute long closer, “Into The Endless Night.” That track takes you through a wide range of sound and emotions, from a simple chiptune to a harsh noise section, leaving the listener astounded and mesmerized. Inspired by the Japanese dream pop group Fishmans, they took a song that was once 9 minutes long and turned it into a climactic finale. This album, and more specifically its closer, show the potential of shoegaze and Parannoul as a musician.