The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Seven Intriguing Jazz Albums for the Weekend

Hen Hud’s avant-garde music critic’s groovy recommendations will keep your weekend cool.

Mingus, C. (1972). Let My Children Hear Music. Sony Music Entertainment Inc.

Charles Mingus – Let My Children Hear Music

Starting off strong with my personal favorite jazz record, Charles Mingus’ Let My Children Hear Music. The album contains moments of great fragility and several high-intensity and chaotic tracks. Everything is controlled perfectly by Mingus, and it encapsulates his passion for making music. The band has a unique connection with each other, creating curated tracks like “The Shoes of The Fisherman’s Wife.”  This track represents precisely what this album does best, and as the opener, it creates an astounding first impression. This album has incredibly catchy melodies that will stick with you for hours after listening.

Shorter, W. (1966). The All Seeing Eye. Blue Note Records.

Wayne Shorter – The All Seeing Eye

While not as popular as some of his other records, The All Seeing Eye deserves to be up there with his best. Shorter composes an exciting and dark record filled with great solos by him and Freddie Hubbard. This album is a great display of both of their playing abilities and gives time for each member of the band to shine. Joe Chambers does an excellent job as drummer, and Herbie Hancock on piano will always make something great. This record is filled with lots of energy and synergy from the band while still being a challenging listen with some of its chaotic and unsettling moments. 

Hutcherson, B. (1966). Stick-Up!. Blue Note Records.

Bobby Hutcherson – Stick-Up!

Bobby Hutcherson is an interesting musician in the landscape of jazz because he was a skilled vibraphone player. This unique instrument choice creates a fascinating sound as it is typically the center of attention in his music. This record has its moments of high energy and slower parts where the band grooves together. With Joe Henderson on the tenor saxophone, he has moments to shine and show off his abilities. Tracks like “Verse” offer moments for every member of the band and show off their collaborative abilities. Hutcherson and Henderson are locked in together at many points, creating a unique harmony.

Joe McPhee – Nation Time

McPhee, J. (1971). Nation Time. Atavistic Records.

Jazz translates ideally into a live setting and this album represents this perfectly. Starting with McPhee’s exclamation of, “What time is it!?” followed by the crowd saying “Nation Time!” is a perfect opening. This is followed by the beginning of the main melody of the track, which builds into a controlled yet chaotic progression. As the show continues, the song presents featured sections from each member of the band with everyone getting to show their skills. The next track, “Shakey Jake,” is filled with energy and groove, and features a bass solo from Tyrone Crabb along with clashing saxophone parts. Nation Time is an incredibly electric jazz album and is equally challenging as it is groovy.

Roberts, M. (2011). Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens de Couleur Libres. Constellation Records.

Matana Roberts – Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens de Couleur Libres

Matana Roberts’ “Coin Coin” series of albums is an incredibly powerful and thought-provoking collection of art. The records tell the story of Marie Thérèse Coincoin, a woman born into slavery who eventually gained her freedom and became a successful business woman. As the first album in this series, Gens de Couleur Libres explores Coincoin’s early life and upbringing and with Roberts’ passionate performances vocally and on the saxophone. With their aggressive singing and playing, the band perfectly conveyed what Coincoin felt during her journey to success. Roberts created a record that is undeniably thought-provoking, establishing clear themes of identity and struggling to find your voice through their music. This album is easily one of the best jazz records of the 21st century with its forward thinking, abrasive, and highly innovative content.

Shelly Manne & His Men – More Swinging Sounds

Shelly Manne & His Men. (1957). More Swinging Sounds. Contemporary Records.

As the name suggests, the music on this record has a unique swing to it. The  album feels laid-back with impressive yet easy listening performances by Stu Williamson on trumpet and Charlie Mariano on alto saxophone. Both musicians are highly talented and show-off their skills throughout the record. Leroy Vinnegar on bass and Shelly Manne on drums are the backbone of this album and build the foundation for the other band members to shine. More Swinging Sounds is the perfect album to listen to when looking to relax with some pleasant and soothing  jazz. 

Brown, G, Lee, J. (1974) Infinite Jones. Timeless Records.

John Lee & Gerry Brown – Infinite Jones

This album is a perfect choice for anyone who enjoys listening to talented drummers. At most points in this record, Gerry Brown shows off his incredible percussive skills. Additionally ,this project features a variety of flutes which add to the uniqueness of this record. There are points of clashing saxophone and slide flutes throughout the album that are curated artfully. John Lee’s bass playing is a consistent anchor throughout, adding depth and complexity to the melodies. There are moments of both high intensity and delicate playing, a combination that works together flawlessly to create an incredible jazz fusion album.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Hendrick Hudson Anchor
$250
$725
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will promote student journalism at Hen Hud.