The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

Israel Declares War After Attack by Hamas

Ashkelon, Israel (October 7th, 2023): An unexpected attack by Islamist militant group Hamas on Israeli soil last Saturday left more than 1,300 dead and 3,500 wounded and an additional 150 taken hostage. Militants overwhelmed border barriers in droves as part of an invasion by land, sea, and air that caught civilians by surprise, descending on communities and a music festival near the Gaza/Israel border. 

Festival Attendees Abandoned Their Vehicles as Hamas Militants Swarmed the Area
Kobi Gideon / Government Press Office, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Air raid sirens blared across southern Israel as at least 2,200 missiles were fired from Gaza into Israeli airspace in the span of 20 minutes, many of which were intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome air defense system; however, several rockets managed to evade the system, slamming buildings as far away as Tel Aviv. 

Israeli and American intelligence organizations were caught off guard by the scale and ferocity of the attacks. In the week prior, American and Israeli intelligence was exchanged, indicating a potential increase in violence by Hamas as well as an escalation of rocket attacks across the Israel/Gaza border; however, neither governments anticipated a full scale invasion of such magnitude, so much so that President Biden and his advisors were not briefed on the matter.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has stated that Israel “is at war”, commencing a counter-offensive against Hamas that seeks to dismantle the organization. Over the past several days, thousands of Israeli airstrikes have bombarded targets in Gaza, killing over 4,000 people, injuring more that 15,000, and directly displacing 400,000 Palestinians. 

Gaza’s hospital system has teetered on the brink of collapse, overwhelmed by the volume of injuries and casualties as well as displaced citizens seeking shelter and safety. Hospitals have been operating on only a few hours of electricity a day and with limited medical supplies, prompting Health officials to plead with the United Nations to provide immediate assistance.

Damage in Gaza Following an Israeli Airstrike
Palestinian News & Information Agency (Wafa) in contract with APAimages, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Supply shortages – already an issue in the economically fragile state – have become severe as Israel conducts “a complete siege” of Gaza, blockading the state’s access to food, water, and electricity. The siege has been called “illegal” under international law by the United Nations; Israel has rejected these claims, citing its right to self-defense and the need to “take Hamas apart” for the security of the country. 

The hostage crisis has complicated Israel’s response to the attacks; according to Hamas, Israeli air strikes have killed 22 hostages and the organization has threatened to kill hostages if unannounced airstrikes continue. The 150 hostages taken by Hamas range from babies to people in their 80, of which 20 are U.S citizens and several others are Mexican, Brazilian, and British citizens. Countries around the world have scrambled to identify hostages and inform families of missing relatives, broadening the diplomatic scope of this conflict.

A lengthy – and likely deadly – ground invasion of Gaza is anticipated in the coming days. Israeli military officials have told residents of North Gaza – 1.1 million in total – to leave in preparation for a long and destructive war. The United Nations has pleaded with Israel to show restraint and has characterized the evacuation order as “impossible.” Leaders from Hamas have told residents not to comply with the order.

Residents of North Gaza have no choice but to flee into South Gaza; the border with Egypt remains closed, leaving no outlet for Gazans. Unfortunately, South Gaza is facing an even more critical resource shortage than North Gaza, which is expected to balloon as Gazans flood into the region.