The Student News Site of Hendrick Hudson

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

The Hendrick Hudson Anchor

AP Environmental Science: It’s Back at Hen Hud

After an almost nine year hiatus, Hen Hud is now offering AP Environmental Science again. Centered around the abiotic (non-living environmental factors) and biotic (living organisms) aspects of the planet, APES gives students a new avenue to understand how the world is changing and how they can contribute positively to the future, all while getting college credit. 

Photo Credit: Mrs. Rieth

In a conversation with Mrs. Rieth, this year’s APES teacher, she brought up the threat of climate change and just how important the study of environmental science has become in recent years. “[T]he fact that the population in 2023 has reached 8 billion [puts] a lot of pressure on our planet,” she says while happy that “our school district is finally offering a course for students to examine that terrestrial pressure and to redefine our environment in a new way.” 

Mrs. Rieth pointed out that as environmental issues grow, the demand for environmental-related jobs increases, especially environmental engineers.

Since the class is college level, it is much more intense and complex than regents-level earth science. APES studies both abiotic and biotic functions, with an emphasis on the connections between the two to create the world around us. Mrs. Rieth highly recommends having a chemistry prerequisite before joining, and even suggesting taking an honors or AP English class to help with the writing portion of the class. “APES required students to write in a particular style and the points for the writing rubric [are] very tight,” Mrs. Rieth mentioned, but emphasized that students should not feel discouraged by this component. 

Photo Credit: Mrs. Rieth

Speaking of her current class, Mrs. Rieth raved about their diversity and flexibility: “They are all very different and smart! Some are artistic, some are critical, others are very funny but overall what I love about them is that they are very patient with me as I navigate the kinks around the curriculum work.” She remarked about their love for mother nature and how they are slowly coming to realize that “nature is actually part of the world that doesn’t need us.” 

With the climate constantly changing, environmental science has become more relevant than ever. Taught by a teacher who loves the environment and her students, APES is actively shaping the mindsets of our future generations’ attitudes towards helping and caring for the climate, whilst leaving a positive impact on the world.